I bought Handsome a "Fresh Young Coconut" a while back and now have myself a nice little pile of fresh young coconut meat. (This is an inside joke. Handsome always makes obscene comments when we buy "fresh young chicken" from the grocery store.)
This led to a lovely culinary brainstorm:
• What goes with coconut? *singing* Put the lime in the coconut...
• What is the best way to taste this fresh delicacy? Creamy Mousse
• What have you been craving lately? Chocolate
• What is easy to store/transport/eat? Cookies
Which brings us to...
Chocolate Margarita Cookies
Limey Sugar Cookies
Adapted from the Better Homes and Garden's Recipe
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup shortening
2 cups unbleached flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon lime juice
• Beat butter & shortening 30 seconds til softened & combined
• Mix in sugar, egg, milk, powder, & lime juice
• At this point I would suggest adding lime zest.
I did NOT and my cookies do not taste limey in the least :(
• Gradually mix in flour until dough forms
• Chill if necessary for rolling
• Roll and cut matching pairs of sandwich cookies, with and without center holes
• Bake at 375 approx. 8 minutes until golden
• Immediately place on cooling rack to avoid breakage
Then make a little too much decadent...
Chocolate Ganache FillingFrom Cooking With Coffee by Bob Tyndall and BlackJava Coffee
6 tablespoons heavy cream (3/8 cup)
1 tbs & 1.5 tsp corn syrup
4.5 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
• Combine all in small sauce pan over low heat
• Stir until melted smooth and combined
• Cool for approx 5 minutes (still stir-able)
• Spread over hole-less sandwich cookie bottoms
• Top with holey sandwich cookie tops
Finally whip up some...
Fresh Young Coconut Meat MousseThanks to the G Living GreenChef Staff Monkies for letting me know that avocado and young coconut meat are interchangeable!
Adapted from Epicurious Sweet Avocado Mousse Recipe
125g young coconut meat
2 tsp lime juice
1/3 c milk
3 tbs & 1 tsp sugar
3 tbs & 1 tsp heavy cream
• Place clean meat in food processor.
• Add juice, milk & sugar.
• Puree until smooth. (Didn't really happen, smooth-ish.)
• In bowl, beat cream to stiff peaks.
• Fold in coconut puree gently but thoroughly.
• Chill in individual servings
• Garnish with lime zest & serve